Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Carrot-Raisin Bran Muffins

If you have ever eaten "health food" and wondered why, for the sake of well-being, we should exercise the self denial of a Franciscan monk, then I have the perfect recipe for you. Also, if you think that bran and raisins only belong in the geriatric aisle, get ready to change your mind. These muffins not only are healthy & relatively cheap to make, they are also very yummy. (in my humble but oh-so-biased opinion) This makes a batch of 24
1 1/2 c. wheat bran
1 1/2 c. oat bran (you can just use wheat, but I like the variety)
2 c. milk
2/3 c. cooking oil
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 c. raisins
3 c. (+/-) shredded carrot

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease two muffin tins.
2. Mix together bran and milk. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Gradually beat in oil, eggs, sugar & vanilla. Add baking powder, soda & salt. Gradually add flour. When thoroughly mixed, add raisins and carrot. Spoon into muffin tins.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let them cool, and the rest is self-explanatory.
These will keep in an airtight container for a few days.

3 comments:

Kerm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

I liked the one I had yesterday, I think I'd half the recipe though.

MyVersionofArt said...

Sounds good!