Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Want It All (with a dash of everything)

Pretty, isn't it?
If you are like most females, looking at lovely pictures and building imaginary dwellings of fine draperies, flooring, furnishings, and landscaping, is a pastime that can eventually become all-consuming. Certainly, looking at creative uses of furniture, fabric, and color, especially when contemplating a real project, like building or renovating a room/house, can be profitable. However, a real tendency is to start a cause-and-effect cycle that can breed discontent. We can easily slip from appreciating the loveliness to wishing we had something like it, and before we know it, we are finding every little thing that's wrong (or at least perceived as wrong) with our own houses and possessions.
And there lies the real problem (besides God's command forbidding covetousness). We follow an ideal that I strongly believe is God's best for families; and that is the single-income family. I rely on my husband for shelter and daily provision, and if, no matter how warm and well-fed I am, I persist in dreaming of what is not mine, imagine what a burden I could place on him! There is nothing wrong in having color and style preferences, but if I continually mention this or that wonderful thing I cannot have, the man who works 10 hour shifts most weekdays for my welfare is left feeling inferior to my expectations and unable to give me what I really want. What a horrible way to make anyone feel! In Ephesians, men are instructed to love their wives, (and wives to reverence their husbands) and Ridge has shown that he loves me very much. That's really all I need.
Life is full of opportunities to acquire lovely possessions, but if we blow our chances with relationships, it's hard to go back.

Hebrews 13:5
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have : for he hath said , I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

2 comments:

Rayia said...

Great post Hannah!

Willie'sGurl said...

Amen. I feel the exact way. If I tell my husband that "I need this" :) And it's more of a want and then I "make" my husband work for that beyond what he can do it is selfish and greedy.:( not to mention disrespectful Great post! :)