Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Taking Stock


Lately, I've been feeling a pull to simplify our family's life.

Having two children has really put a lot of things into perspective for me, one of those being the relationship we have to our belongings.

Do we really own them? Or is every time that Stuff gets in the way of life a reminder that they own us? 
There have been too many days that I've felt guilty about not spending time with my children because I was too busy contending with our Stuff, or too tired from the battle.

No, we wouldn't be featured on Hoarders, but is that really something to brag about?

I have a lot of belongings I truly enjoy, but also a good number that just get shoved from one room to the next. Shrinking that amount is one way I'm hoping to bring more peace to our family.

Another way I am working to enrich our family is by gradually switching to more and more homemade and natural alternatives to things we use every day.
I currently use cloth diapers, line dry our laundry, prepare many of our meals from scratch, and make some of my own kitchen necessities. Recently I discovered the fun of spending time over a pot of steaming milk and watching it magically turn into a ball of cheese
I get mighty interested in a science lesson if there's cheese to be had at the end.
Sewing pajamas and simple gifts for our boys is another way I have fun and stay productive and creatively engaged.

One of the things I want to try in the near future is homemade sunscreen. This fall, I will plan my front yard garden.

Even though we live in town, I don't see any reason why we can't have a little more country in our lives, and these are just some ways I'm trying to do it.

No comments: