Monday, February 13, 2012

Love is in the Air...



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Whether you enjoy the rampant commercialized barrage of candy, stuffed animals, and dinner reservations, take a more off-the-beaten-path approach, or spurn the whole "love" thing in favor of "Singles Awareness Day," the fact that Americans have devoted one day a year to nothing but gestures of affection to those who mean the most to us is an interesting thing.
Many people seem to either love or hate Valentine's Day based on their on romantic relationship status, or lack thereof. Happily, I am not one of these people. As long as I can remember, my dear mother would make the day special for my brother and I. Many years she assisted us in planning a big sledding party for all our friends, and we would make scores of valentines notes and goodies to go along with it. Long before a certain man became my sweetheart, Mom had instilled in me a love for love.
Now that I have a husband and sweet baby, I like to think that I am continuing that tradition of plain and simple love. I don't decorate our house to the hilt, and we don't go out anywhere fancy, (maybe someday) but I do love spending a lazy day with my boys (since Ridge got the day off) doing whatever we please. This year we are planning the drive around the big lake to seek adventure, then come home and have lobster soup for dinner, followed by this cake.
Wishing you all love, in one form or another- I'm off to make a lit garland.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hannah, I love what you wrote about love and about how your mom celebrated Valentine's Day. You have a very special mom, and now you are becoming a very special mom to your own son! I'm so happy for you, with your loving husband and darling little boysel. Hope to see you again soon! Have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Love, Aunt Kathi

Tina Vestal said...

Dear Hannah,I love you and yours so very, very much. Thank you for your love, forgiveness and grace toward your mother. Your years at home were nothing but pure joy for me (of course interspersed with high drama) Ha, just kidding. Have a sweet and wonderful Valentines Day with your sweetheart and sweet baby.
Love, Mom