Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Easy Crock-Pot Gumbo with Brown Rice

Here I am without a camera again. Oh well, pictures or not, a girl's gotta eat. Last month, I had gumbo for the first time ever at Cafe Max, and it was so good! Since I didn't want to pay $10 a quart every time I was craving yummy soup, I decided to come up with my own approximation of the recipe. I use brown rice instead of the traditional white, because I think it has better flavor, and I like to think the the rice I am eating is at least somewhat nutritious.

Easy Crock-Pot Gumbo
serves 4-6
2 chicken breasts
1 can tomato sauce
1 can cut okra, drained
2 3oz andoulle sausages, sliced
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
brown rice (I use Lundberg), prepared as directed, to serve 2-3 (1/2 cup dry)


Several hours before meal, place chicken breasts in crock pot with tomato sauce. Check in approx. 2 hrs, shred chicken with a fork. Add sausage, okra, and oregano. Let these all cook together for 1 hr (you can use this time to make your rice, if you like). Add cooked rice, salt & pepper to taste.

This makes a nice, hearty stew. You could also add diced bell pepper and/or cocktail shrimp to make it extra yummy!

1 comment:

Tina Vestal said...

Hannah, I'm going to try that. It sounds really good, so thanks for the recipe.